Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Cast on, Cast off

I am now on my 6th attempt to cast on the sock I ripped back a few days ago (the pattern is Classy Slip Up from Knit Socks!).  After the initial unraveling, I decided to change a few things in order to ensure success the second (or sixth) time around.  I actually made one specific change based on something that I have learned from implementing software over the past 13 years...when you have more hand-offs (interfaces) between systems, there is more of a chance that you will fuck something up.  So, I applied this principle to my sock, and went from a 5 dpn configuration to a 4 dpn configuration (less hand-offs, less room for error).  I was also inspired by Yarn Harlot to try a 2x2 rib instead of the 1x1 rib that the pattern called for (I actually figured that this might just be a little faster).

Each cast on brought a new problem challenge.  A few attempts resulted in dropped cast on stitches (I really don't know if there's even a way to fix those).  The most insulting was when I finally cast on successfully and started the first round, only to be stopped short after the first 20 stitches because I had been knitting with the tail instead of the working yarn.  AAAGH!

I don't want to get too cocky, but this last time is working out pretty well so far - I've actually finished knitting the first round.  I know that doesn't seem like a lot but trust me, after last night, I'm pretty darn proud.  Let's see if I can get through the second round without any drama!

No comments: